UN “Peace” Forces in Haiti Prey on Civilians, Children

The New AmericanKathie Klarreich – February 18, 2015

Rather than protecting local civilians, United Nations “peacekeeping” forces in Haiti are behaving as ruthless predators that systematically prey on Haitians, raping and sexually abusing even children with impunity, according to a new report detailing the horrors. Instead of dealing with the ghastly and systemic abuses perpetrated under its latest decade-long occupation, UN military officials seek to cover it up and even retaliate against whistleblowers. On top of that, the global outfit’s “peace” armies have been spreading deadly diseases among the traumatized population — particularly cholera, which has killed almost 10,000 Haitians so far. All the while, the UN continues to avoid any semblance of accountability under the guise of “immunity.

According to the report, when UN peacekeepers were not partying and enjoying themselves at the beach, partly at U.S. taxpayer expense, many of them were sexually exploiting children, trafficking drugs, hiring prostitutes, and more. “For less than $5, the Sri Lankan soldiers exploited the very population they were sent to safeguard,” wrote investigative journalist Kathie Klarreich. “They conveniently disregarded the trampled condition of the fence surrounding their military base so that Haitian boys and girls could crawl under and over it, which they did with great frequency. In their wake, they left behind condoms, which were noted by UN investigators when they finally cracked down on the security breach and the flagrant violation of UN policy.”

The UN, of course, knew full well what its “peace” troops were engaged in. Klarreich describes a team of UN investigators who investigated the UN’s Sri Lankan troops in Haiti and “found that transactional sex among the peacekeepers was rampant.” Over the years, Klarreich reported, “rotating peacekeepers from Sri Lanka gave the new recruits the SIM cards that held the names and numbers of those willing to engage in sex, including boys and girls just entering their teens.” Often they met in the UN military base, other times they raped children in UN vehicles, with fellow UN soldiers keeping a lookout from the UN’s observation tower, according to a UN investigator cited in Klarreich’s chilling investigation.

“Transactional sex with peacekeepers isn’t new, nor is sexual exploitation and abuse — S.E.A., in UN jargon,” Klarreich reported. “The first widespread exposure of the practice, including exploitation of children, pornography, trafficking and sexual assault, occurred in the early 1990s. Then there was the sex-trafficking in Bosnia, Herzegovina and Kosovo.”

thenewamerican.com/world-news/item/20141-un-peace-forces-in-haiti-prey-on-civilians-children

Advertisements

North Korea Denounces ‘Forum of Lies’ at UN

ChannelNews Asia – September 28, 2014

North Korea’s foreign minister on Saturday (Sep 27) berated the United Nations (UN) Security Council as a forum of lies and double standards, in the first UN address by a top Pyongyang official in 15 years.

Foreign Minister Ri Su Yong called for reforming the UN Security Council, which has imposed tough sanctions on North Korea over its suspect nuclear program and missile launches.

“The Security Council should no longer serve as a forum for telling lies,” Ri told the UN General Assembly.

The foreign minister accused the top body of turning a blind eye to civilian deaths in Gaza from Israeli attacks while punishing Syria over the conflict on its territory. He said the top body was “showcasing the extreme manifestation of the double standard” and said no action should be taken against Syria “under the disguise of counter-terrorism,” in a reference to US-led airstrikes against militants.

The foreign minister assailed the United States over joint exercises it held with South Korea in August and recounted that the 15-member council refused to consider Pyongyang’s request to suspend the war exercises.

Turning to North Korea’s nuclear program, the foreign minister asserted that US “hostile policy” had led to Pyongyang’s decision to develop nuclear weapons. “The nuclear deterrent of the DPRK is not intended to threaten or attack others,” he said. “Neither is it a bargaining chip to be exchanged for something else.”

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi earlier called for a resumption of six-party talks on North Korea’s nuclear program, in his address to the 193-nation Assembly.

A report this month by the UN nuclear watchdog raised alarm over North Korea, saying the reactor at the Yongbyon nuclear site may be operational again. The reactor is capable of giving North Korea, which has carried out three nuclear tests, six kilos (13 pounds) of plutonium a year – enough for one nuclear bomb, experts say.

Already under crippling sanctions since 2006, Pyongyang was hit by fresh UN punitive measures in March 2013 over its third nuclear test.