Haiti Cholera Epidemic Blamed On UN Peacekeepers

October 9, 2013 – Inquisitr

The Haiti cholera epidemic is being blamed on United Nations peacekeepers. A lawsuit filed in Manhattan’s Federal District Court accuses UN workers of bringing the disease into the country.

Officials said Haiti was free of the disease for nearly 100 years. In 2010, the devastating disease reemerged. Within three years, more than 650,000 residents were sickened and 8,300 were dead.

Officials with the UN ordered forensic testing to identify the source. It was determined that several members of the UN peacekeeping force entered Haiti while infected with the disease.

As reported by New York Times, the lawsuit also claims the Nepalese UN peacekeeper base contributed to spreading the disease. A flawed sanitation system carried raw sewage into a tributary, which leads to Haiti’s biggest river.

The river is a source of water for bathing, cooking, and drinking. Officials believe the river was contaminated by the sewage.

The Haiti cholera outbreak has slowed. However, it is still killing nearly 1,000 residents each year. Haiti’s prime minister, Laurent Lamothe, said the UN has a “moral responsibility” to accept blame for the situation.

UN human rights chief Navi Pillay admits the victims deserve compensation. However, she did not go into detail about when or how the victims would be provided relief.

As reported by Reuters, the Institute for Justice and Democracy petitioned the UN for compensation in 2011. The petition demanded $50,000 for each victim who fell ill, and $100,000 to families of those who lost their lives.

The petition was denied “pursuant to Section 29 of the Convention on the Privileges and Immunities.” Section 29 outlines diplomatic immunity.

Source: http://www.inquisitr.com/985891/haiti-cholera-epidemic-blamed-on-un-peacekeepers/

UN Peacekeepers in Mali Accused of Sexual Aabuse

September 24, 2013 – Fox News

The United Nations has revealed it has received allegations of sexual abuse and other serious misconduct by its peacekeeping troops in Mali.

The incidents were said to have taken place in the northeastern town of Gao on September 19 and 20, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s spokesman was quoted as saying in a statement from the UN released on Monday which didn’t give details about the accusations.

“The Secretary-General is treating this matter with the utmost seriousness and, in line with established procedure, is in the process of notifying the troop-contributing countries,” Martin Nesirky told a briefing in New York, according to the statement.

“The troop-contributing country has primary responsibility for investigating the matter and ensuring that appropriate disciplinary and judicial measures are taken should the allegations be well-founded.”

The UN peacekeeping force in Mali, known as MINUSMA, took over in July from African forces fighting armed groups linked to Al-Qaeda that occupied northern Mali last year.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09/24/un-peacekeepers-in-mali-accused-sexual-abuse/